Gurls Out Loud
Go-live date: Wednesday 21 April
Audience: 11-13+ year old girls
We’ve launched Gurls Out Loud – a campaign to help prevent the creation of self-generated child sexual imagery online.
Our aims are:
• For girls to have an increased awareness of how to respond safely to requests online for self-generated child sexual abuse material.
• For parents/carers to have an increased awareness of self-generated child sexual abuse online and feel motivated and equipped to protect their children – please see the other attachment for the parents’ supporter pack.
• Our overall impact is to build resilience to the threat of self-generated child sexual abuse online.
Since the start of the pandemic, the amount of ‘self-generated’ child abuse imagery has increased dramatically. Our data, which is also released today in our annual report shows https://annualreport2020.iwf.org.uk/ :
• More and more sexual abuse material is created by offenders who coerce and groom children into sexual activities, often in children’s own bedrooms and bathrooms. They then record this via webcams or live streaming services.
• In 2020, we dealt with 68,000 cases of such imagery, a rise of 77% on the year before. It accounts for nearly half (44%) of the imagery that we took action on last year
• In 80% of these cases, the victims were just 11 to 13–years old.
We need your help to spread the word and raise awareness. Would you be able to amplify our messages through your social media channels?
Please use these suggested posts for your relevant audiences. Alternatively, you could help by amplifying messages directly from our Instagram channel which goes live on the 21 April.
1. Manifesto film: https://zincwire.egnyte.com/dl/UNc5uqJZRv
Suggested post: “Every day young girls are approached online by adults looking to groom and sexually exploit them. Girls, just like you and your friends. Block. Report. Tell someone you trust. #GurlsOutLoud”
2. Infographic: https://zincwire.egnyte.com/dl/3dlrf6VmXc
Suggested post: “Adults asking for sexual images is never ok. Instead of responding and giving them attention, just say nothing. Block, Report and Tell someone you trust. We’re in this together #GurlsOutLoud”
3. Awareness GIF: https://zincwire.egnyte.com/dl/PTqBYRj34v
Suggested post: “If an adult asks for sexual images or videos of you, it’s not ok, it’s a crime! So don’t be afraid to speak out about it, you’ve done nothing wrong. Find out more about how you can keep yourself and your friends safe at www.gurlsoutloud.com. #GurlsOutLoud”
4. Example post
We hope we can count on your support to help tackle this grave issue. Please do get in touch with us if you have further questions or thoughts.
m +44 (0) 7929 553 679